Australian Wholefoods Pty Ltd
Collecting Personal Information About You
What is personal information?
Personal information means information or an opinion about an identified individual, or an individual who is reasonably identifiable, whether that information is true or not and whether recorded in a material form or not.
Sensitive information is a subset of personal information that is generally afforded a higher level of protection. It includes your health information as well as information about your racial or ethnic origin, political opinions, membership of political, professional or trade associations, or trade unions, religious beliefs, sexual orientation or practices and criminal record.
The kinds of personal information we hold
We only collect personal information that is reasonably necessary for our functions and activities. The kinds of personal information we collect and hold will depend upon the type of products and services we provide to you or purchase from you, and may include:
- Your name, address and other contact details
- Credit related information (see our Credit Policy for more information)
- Records of and information about communications between us and you, including complaints, whether by telephone, email, mail or in person, and which may include health information
- Information and opinions that you provide us when you respond to one of our surveys
- Information that you post to one of our websites or social media pages
- Information that you provide to us when you complete a job application
We will usually collect your personal information from you, but we may also collect it from third parties, depending on the type of products and services we provide to you or you purchase from us. This may include:
- Your name and contact details when a friend shares one of our competitions with you via one of our websites or social media pages (such as Facebook)
- Credit and related information from a credit reporting body (see our Credit Policy for more information)
- Information about you given to us by a family member or other person acting on your behalf
- Information about you from other suppliers of our products.
Where practical, you can deal with us anonymously or using a pseudonym if you wish. However in many instances, if we cannot identify you or if you do not provide us with the personal information we request, then we may not be able to provide you with our products or services, respond to your enquiries or complaints, or assess credit or job applications.
How We Hold Your Personal Information
We take reasonable steps to protect your personal information from misuse, interference and loss, and from unauthorised access, modification or disclosure. We hold personal information in electronic documents on our own password protected IT system. Where in hard copy, documents containing personal information are held at secure locations within our offices.
Where we no longer need your personal information for a purpose for which we are permitted to use it under the Privacy Act, we will take reasonable steps to destroy or de-identify this information, unless we are required by or under an Australian law or court/tribunal order to retain the information.
Using And Disclosing Your Personal Information
We will normally use and disclose the personal information we collect about you for the following purposes:
- To communicate with you about current and new products and services offered or distributed by us, whether by email, SMS, telephone or mail
- To help us to understand the needs of our customers and to improve our products and services
- To process your job application
- To process your application for commercial credit (see our Credit Policy for more information)
- To administer our competitions
- To respond to your complaints or requests
- To contact you
- To comply with our reporting obligations to regulatory authorities
- Other uses which are reasonably necessary for our functions and activities.
We may disclose your personal information to organisations to whom we outsource functions, such as a mailing house, marketing agencies or other third party service providers, so that they can provide the services that we have contracted out to them. This may involve us disclosing personal information to organisations located overseas, including Salesforce.com in the USA.
Requests To Stop Direct Marketing
You may at any time ask us to stop sending you direct marketing communications or being contacted by or on our behalf, by a particular means or at all. You can do this by simply emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling 1800 702 705 and advising us of your request.